Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Christmas Miracle ! (Almost)

May be TMI- Don't read ahead if you are offended by fluid, maxi-pads and underwear talk. ;)

So, it is Christmas Eve and I have an appointment. Weird, but I was looking forward to this one because I still have my last ab drain in (5 weeks post-op) and I was really hoping that the draining would slow down and I could have it removed. My doc told me the week before that we could probably remove it if the draining slowed down. He also prescribed me an anti-biotic, in case there was an infection that was causing the fluid. Unfortunately, nothing changed during the week.

When I got into the room, I chatted with the nurse and we discussed the drainage. I asked her if it was normal to still be draining so much fluid. She said that it was not "normal", but it did happen to some people. I asked "Why ?" and she really had no explanation. Yeah, me. Once again, I am abnormal. :)

When the doctor came in, he looked over my drainage chart and asked a few questions and told me that we would "back the drain out" weekly. I didn't get it at first, but he numbed the lower area with a series of shots, then he cut the bulb and tube off. All that is left is the plastic tube that has taken residency in my body (Penrose Drain - The long white tube with the holes in it pictured below).

Each week, I will return and the doctor will remove another section of tubing, hopefully buying some time for the fluid to get out. The nurse put a pad on the area to collect the fluid and told me the best way to deal with it is to buy maxi-pads and tape them on or attach them to my underwear. Sounded easy enough.

When I got home, I put a new pad in my underwear and hoped for the best. We were having company over, so I really didn't want to leak everywhere. Thank goodness, I was good for a few hours, then I went to change the pad and it was 100% soaked. Gross.

This drain is continuous. Even when I sit down to go to the bathroom, I have to put gauze or toilet paper near it to catch the flow. The maxi-pad shifts and doesn't always catch the fluid, leading to soggy pants. Sleeping is interesting. I want to lay on my back because I am still having some breast pain, but I am afraid that the pad won't catch everything that comes out at night. I tried to wrap an Ace bandage around myself, to keep it in place, but it is in such an odd spot, it is hard to keep it from moving.

In the big scheme of things, this is no big deal. Things could be much worse. It is just another uncomfortable part of recovery that I get to experience. On the positive side, I can wear pants again and not have to worry about the tube hanging out or getting caught on something.

I am worried about the area getting infected or something getting into the tube and back into my body, but the doc said that there was nothing different that I should do to clean it, so I guess I will just keep a close eye on things and hope for the best !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the highly personal nature of this blog, all comments must first be read by the administrator before they are posted.