Saturday, November 30, 2013

So, what do Angelina Jolie and I have in common ?

Well, aside from long, dark hair, a couple of kids, our moms both had cancer, we both have BRCA+ diagnoses.We are a bit different in the fact that she has a BRCA1+ and I am a BRCA2+.

I have to admit. I have never been a big fan of Ang. The whole Billy Bob, blood in a vial.... She just always seemed weird to me. When the whole "Brad/Jen" split happened, I was totally on Jen's side and made me like her even less (Like anyone cares). Didn't like her. Didn't like her movies. Thought she was fake. Adopting kids from all corners of the earth- I thought she was just trying to change the public opinion of herself. Then the article came out that changed my mind. Angelina Jolie's op ed- Please read

I read the article and I felt sad for her. She had lost her mom and grandma at very early ages. I am proud of her for being tested so that she could be there for her kids. No matter if they are her's biologically or adopted, no one deserves to grow up with out a mom. My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2012. When she called me, I cried. I'm 34, but I didn't want my Mom to die ! Thank God, she caught it very early and is clear today, a year and a half later. She also gave us a gift- The ability to be tested for the BRCA mutation. Of the 5 girls in our family tested, 3 of us were positive.

When I was going back and forth about the surgery, THAT was the reason that made my decision. How silly if I decided not to have surgery and then eventually get cancer. Why would I take the risk of leaving my kids without a mom when there was something that I could do to prevent it ? Now, near the end of the surgical process, I can't believe that I even hesitated.

So, although I may not have millions in my bank account like Angie, we both do have our kid's best interest at heart. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the highly personal nature of this blog, all comments must first be read by the administrator before they are posted.