Friday, November 29, 2013

Upkeep

Whew. Life is rough. Sleeping and eating. LOL Of course, there is a lot more going on daily in order to care for everything. First, there are the "granades" or "JP Drains". Here's how to strip and empty your drains Your doctor or nurse will show you how to do this, but this is a good refresher (We never had gloves, we just used the alcohol wipes). For the first few days, I had my husband doing this, but at about a week later, I am doing it myself. (Go me !)

Showering: I invested in a hand-held shower before, so that seems to be the easiest for me to clean off. I can wash my hair quickly and quickly clean off all of the necessary areas with soap and water by sitting on the edge of the tub. I had a bad experience with staples and showers with one of my pregnancies, so I prefer to keep it is as dry as possible. I know that I don't have staples, but I am weird, ok ?

I did have a blister when I left the hospital and they did not really explain what to do with it. We finally called the doctor today and they instructed that we clean it well, use Silvadene cream and a loose fitting pad. After a few hours, repeat. Of course, if you have any issues, call your doctor immediately and follow their instructions.

Sleep: Sleep whenever you are able to ! Visitors will understand. Tell them to drop the Tupperware on the counter and you'll call them later. :) If they don't get it, just start nodding off and maybe they will start cleaning up for you. If all else fails, just come out and say it. "I'm really tired. Would you mind coming back next week when we can chat more ?"

My main piece of advice: Even if you think that you can do it, you shouldn't ! Your pain meds will give you false confidence. Yes, you will be able to do things like laundry and lift children, but it is not a good idea. This is your time to take it easy and let someone else have a turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the highly personal nature of this blog, all comments must first be read by the administrator before they are posted.