Friday, January 22, 2016

I don't do sit ups anyway !

I always thought that it was kind of funny when the doctor would explain that the "sit up" muscle would be cut during a TRAM Flap surgery. I would joke everytime "Well, I don't do sit ups anyway, so I will be fine." Ha ha ha.......
Unfortunately, that muscle is used for more than just doing sit ups as an exercise. After two years, I am just now finally getting back some use of the rectus abdominis muscles. For example, it is not easy to just sit up in bed or get up off of the floor. I tend to roll my body into the desired position. I call myself a turtle because that is how I feel if I end up on my back. Either I call for one of my kids to give me a hand or I kind of rock myself to one side and hope that there is something around that I can use to pull myself up.
It has gotten better with time, but it will never be as easy to move around as it once was.
In all fairness, I have gone through MUCH more than the average TRAM Flap patient. Not everyone will have the same opinion or lack of mobility that I have experienced. I just wish that I had been a bit more informed about how much you do rely on this muscle and that it is not just for exercising, as most people assume.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the highly personal nature of this blog, all comments must first be read by the administrator before they are posted.